Wooden Sticks & Langley Cup Action

This weekend was filled to the brim with golf. Golf, golf, golf. Last week Harry, Matt and I somehow came to the consensus of paying $125/player to go play Wooden Sticks in Uxbridge, ON. I've never been happier with a golf course decision.

Worth every penny, Wooden Sticks was a fun track combining famed holes from Augusta, Troon, Pine Valley, Oakmont, St. Andrews, Carnoustie and Sawgrass with a few unique holes from Ron Garl -- the architect who designed well-received Taboo. Each hole was a unique test of golf as the styles went from wide open with huge greens (St. Andrews) to downright scary tee shots (Oakmont, Pine Valley) and greens requiring excellent ball control (Sawgrass, Troon, Augusta). Conditioning was great, greens were smooth and quick, and thankfully we had a beautiful day.

My driver on Saturday was a bit suspect but I got it around except for #12 where I hit one OB right and one into the junk left for a quadruple-bogey 8 on a par 4. Fortunately my iron play was solid and I sunk a few putts to get around in 76 from the tips. I can't help but be happy with this score on an unknown 7000+ yard course and I did indeed squeeze out some money from Matt and Harry winning the matches and the stroke play. There's something about the 17th at Sawgrass that gets the pulse up, even if we didn't have the wind up to make it difficult.

Check out Matt's full wooden sticks review.

Sunday at the club I played Gary P., a renowned stable-player who seemingly never shoots over 75 but maintained last week a 4 handicap. Fortunately, Gary shot a 65 on Wednesday and actually entered it for once to get his handicap down to a 2 which is a bit more realistic. He gave me two strokes for the round and off we went in match play from the tips. Gary started out 1-up after 2 when he drained a bomb of a birdie -- i've always said i'm happy to get beat by birdies -- but it didn't last for him as I quickly go back to even, then up two after 6. Gary brought it back to even after 9 and we were having a nice match.

A bad tee shot at 10, then a nice hook 6 iron to lay up set up a beautiful wedge and birdie from me to take the lead. Up 1
I made a mistake on 11 and hit the bunker from 110 yards, blasting out of the ugliest lie ever and almost draining my par. Even!
#12 I hit a nice long iron on the tough par 3 and made an easy par to Gary's missed par-save. Up 1.
#13 I hit my drive high and left -- obviously afraid of the trees right and hit a beautiful punch 5i runner into the front pin position. Gary conceded this one after my chip as I got a stroke on this hole. 2 UP
#14 Smoothed a sweet 6 iron into a mid-left pin leaving a 5 footer for birdie, sunk that. 3UP
#15 Gary refers to me as the Buzz Saw (a new nickname if i must say so) and I play a very conservative line to make par given my lead. Unfortunately for G, he wasn't playing that well and missed his Par.

I win 4&3 and am past a tough opponent (yay). I told Gary he must have used up all his birdies shooting 65 this week (yow, thats a damn good score), he's normally very tough and had a bad day in my opinion.

I birdied 16 from a tough 3rd shot position over the willow, doubled 17 and bogeyd 18 to shoot 75.

Not too bad... a good weekend for me at golf definitely.

Harry and Matt now both ask for shots. HAH. Yeah right.

Tomorrow we play St. Thomas.

Comments

Harris said…
so the last few rounds you have played are all under 76 and you stil believe I shouldn't get any strokes. I'm a freaking 7 who broke 80 once this year. I should be getting stroke, Matt, not so much.
Matt said…
Screw that! I deserve shots too!!! I only broke 76 once this year so I get one a side.

Thank you...try the veal!

Popular Posts