Hack and Slash

Well, at least I played golf this weekend. It wasn't by any means good golf, but at least it was golf.

On Saturday morning we skipped out at the wee hour of 7:15 at the club to try and squeek in before Opening Day. It turns out 8 people in total had the same idea, so we hardly saw another soul on the course which was nice. I for the most part played OK, but somehow accumulated 4 double bogeys to shoot a stinky 83 including going double/par/double on the last 3. I was not in a great frame of mind after that finish, but brushed it off fairly easily.

Sunday was the qualifier for the niagara mens tour. This was the first year I agreed to give it a try as my Sundays aren't as work-clogged now. We had quite a bit of representation from our club at the qualifier, and of course Matt is exempt from last year. I went to the range before the round, hit balls, it felt good. I had no reason to think I couldn't get around a reasonable score, but unfortunately that's what happened.

I really can't say I played all that badly. I won't bore you with hole by hole details but my driver (when I used it) was fine, rescue off the tee was good even. My approaches to greens were OK and I hit or barely missed quite a few of them and chipping was fine too. Unfortunately, my putting wasn't working at all. Inside 3 feet I made everything as normal but I missed everything outside of it. Lag putts were awful, 10-15 foot birdie putts often slid 5 feet by, it was ugly.

I had my first ever true 4-putt today and i won't even criticize myself too much over it. The 6th hole on the back nine was playing into a hard right to left wind. My approach left me on the front left of a middle right pin but unfortunately the course designer had designed a two tiered green and some dick put the pin right at the top of the massive ridge. My first putt ran up the crest, slowed, and leaked down and back 15 feet away from the pin. My second putt ran up the elephant's back and slid 5 feet by (couldn't leave it short -- was too easy to have it roll back down), and I missed it... No excuses.

The other funny incident happened on the front nine, I had 70 yards into a green from the fairway and had a 60 degree wedge in my hands. My ball landed 15 feet from the pin on TOP of my playing partners ball, his ball shot all the way off the green past the pin and into the rough (to be placed back, of course) and mine kicked backward and spun back to the front edge leaving a 60 or so foot putt. Naturally, I couldn't make it down in 2. It just wasn't my day on the greens.

I really didn't play that badly, really. Sure I couldn't make putts but I definitely couldn't score -- shot 84 on the par 71 course. So yeah, I shot the wrong sort of score on the wrong day. No excuses, that's golf for ya. I'm pretty happy with my golf swing, but I don't think I'll be using it around that particular tour this year.

Oh, and I think i might have lost $2 to harry on saturday, broke even on bets otherwise.

Comments

Matt said…
You better get that swing rockin' cause you WILL be needing it for the Tour this year.

Popular Posts