Friday, October 16, 2009

2009 Golf Season Recap

Looks like my 2009 summer of golf is in the books. This year was... different. Replacing my driver (which caved) with my new Nike Dymo w/ Fujikura X shaft definitely improved my driving but I felt less efficient with the irons all year. I putted reasonably well and chipping was off and on. I think I'll replace the irons in the next season -- I'll go to something a bit easier to hit than my beautiful blades. We'll see.

My handicap hovered between 3 and 4 all season... not great compared to my past streaks.

I was truly awful on the niagara golf tour this year. I barely made the thing in qualifying, and only really had two OK rounds, one at St. Catharines G&CC and one at Lockness Links -- I believe it was 78 both rounds or something like that. The rest of the time I played like it didn't matter. I guess I didn't really feel the competitive nature of the golf on that tour... seemed like I didn't care all that much? Not sure why that is but I just wasn't into it. I didn't like the slow rounds (actually I ran good in the luck dept there compared to others) and the events taking up entire Sundays to play. I also don't like that speeding up play at all costs (including booting players who are slow) isn't #1 priority. I will not commit to it for next season yet.

At the club I placed 5th (I think) in the Club Championship and that's not too bad. It's not a replication of my fine T2 finish last year but c'est la vie.

I did win my 2nd Langley Cup beating a crew of tough bastards -- not sure how I pulled that one off. Grinding... I made two putts that stood out to represent my Langley tourney this year. One against Matt where I had a bad #5 (played the 9's reversed I believe) and still grinded out a 12 footer for bogey and the one against Harry where I made an uphill 10 footer for par on #18 to send the match into overtime. It's nice to know that when the times get tough I can make it happen.

Overall, I improved my game in some ways and in doing so hurt other parts of the game. I guess that's the nature of golf, perfection being nearly unattainable.

If I do get out (aside from Orlando for a biz trip/golf in November) it will be purely for fun and exercise since the greens are punched and sand covered now.

And so G+P switches gears for another season back to primarily Poker games... I'll start putting up some information on that shortly.

Stay classy, Interwebs.

No comments: